Responsible Action Exemption: The University has adopted a Responsible Action Exemption policy for students seeking medical assistance for themselves or others for emergency situations that result from alcohol and other drug abuse.

Students or organizations, both on and off campus, who seek medical attention for themselves or on behalf of another student related to the use of drugs or alcohol will not be charged with violations of the Student Conduct Code related to that incident, provided that the student completes an assessment and any recommended treatment by the Hearing Officer. If a student is under 21 years of age, parents may be notified. A student organization must also cooperate with University officials and provide training or educational programs for its members as required by the Hearing Officer. The University reserves the right to adjudicate any case in which the violations are egregious. Students in need of medical assistance can only receive one (1) exemption, regardless of who calls for assistance.

The University may consider all prior exemptions granted to student organizations in determining whether additional exemptions should be granted. If it is determined that a student organization is engaging in repeat, similar conduct that results in alcohol or drug related incidents that negatively impact the campus or community, exemptions may be denied. No exemptions will be provided related to any activities that may constitute hazing in violation of the Student Conduct Code or Colorado law. Failure to complete an assessment and treatment may result in charges filed by Student Conduct Services.

If a student/organization believes they qualify for a responsible action exemption, the following steps must be completed:

  • The student/organization must make initial contact with the appropriate resource (i.e. law enforcement, medical personnel or University staff) as a result of their actively seeking out medical assistance for themselves or on behalf of another individual.
  • The student/organization seeking assistance for an intoxicated student must give their name to law enforcement or staff, remain on scene, and cooperate with medical personnel, law enforcement, or University staff.
  • The student/organization seeking an exemption must meet with Student Conduct Services staff and complete an assessment, educational program, or any additional treatment requirements of the Hearing Officer. Verification of completion must be provided to the Student Conduct Services.

This information can be found on Page 12 of the Student Conduct Code.